Friday, June 29, 2012

Must See Shops: No.1 Skinny Laminx

Over the next few weeks I'd like to share with you a few shops outside of Ireland that I would love to get the chance to visit in person one day. First up on my virtual tour is ‘Skinny Laminx’ located in Cape Town, South Africa. It's owned by talented illustrator and designer Heather Moore.  Heathers brick and  mortar shop  only just opened  last year but she  has been creating and selling her beautiful designs for many years through other outlets including  her Etsy store. It's great that I can still purchase her products online but I'd really love to be able walk around the actual shop.

I love the shop front, the simple white font of the name against the black background, the wooden frames, the window boxes and then a gorgeous illustration on the glass with the tag line 'You make me smile', how could  you walk past all that without stepping inside!


Here are a few sneak peeks of the shop, I love the way it is styled, the grey and white walls and the pops of colour from all the gorgeous products, it's all so inviting. Heathers studio forms part of the shop and to make a distinction between the two areas she has hung a fab oversized metal sign of one of her trademark designs the 'Eep' bird, you can see it below. I think it looks gorgeous and it's a great way of separating the areas while still leaving the whole space open.


I think Heather is a great stylist, from the shop layout to the beautiful online catalogue she has created showcasing all of her products. Everything is styled to make the products shine out as stars of the show.

My personal favorites from Heathers collections are the 'Eeps', 'Duikers' and 'Herds'. Regular readers may recall I made a cushion from an Eep tea towel some time ago, I just couldn't bring myself to use it to dry dishes-too pretty! I think I will
definitely be making a purchase again soon once our kitchen/living renovation is complete.

I was lucky enough to go to South Africa in 2001 with a group of friends on a hockey tour. It is such a beautiful place with so much to see and do. We visited vineyards, went on safari and whale watching, journeyed along the garden route, took a trip to Robben Island and a hilltop tribal village, bungee jumped (okay well I was too chicken but the others did!), oh and we played a bit of hockey too! It was amazing. I'm not sure that I will get the chance to go back again, but if I do Skinny Laminx will be my first stop. Thank you to Heather for letting me share her work with you here.

(Images used with permission from www.SkinnyLaminx.com)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your kind words, Hilary! Looking forward to having you visit some day soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous looking shop Hilary! I love your collection of posts on your blog-great mix! Lovely to meet you through BYW2! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skinny Laminx has the most awesomest designs!!! Love your curation, Hilary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Caroline and Starlet, its great to be introduced to your blogs, they both look right up my street, i look forward to following them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place looks amazing, love her work. Thanks for sharing! Mel BYW

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you :-)